Monday, September 5, 2011

Decorating for value and style


I am all about decorating to make it look like you spent more than you did. Of course that is always relative to how much you actually have in your budget. It is all about working with what you have or can have. Sometimes less really is more. There will always be those people who can spend more than you can but if you take a realistic look at your budget, plan ahead and accordingly, you too can have a beautiful wedding.

Shop at store sales- This may seem obvious, but if you can shop for seasonal decorations the season before when they go on sale, you can save money. This does involve a lot of planning ahead though. You definitely have to have a plan in mind before you go shopping or you may end up with a lot of things that are nice but do not fit in with the look you are going for.
Shop at yard sales- I never knew how many things you could find at garage sales until my mom, the professional yard saler, started buying things for me. Believe it or not she and I have even found bridal gowns that after they were cleaned up, look like brand new. The other day she called to say she found 12 matching vases for a great price. If you have 12 guest tables that can be a great start to making your centerpieces.
Shop at consignment stores- I have been a consignment store shopper for clothes for years. That is why I decided to open the consignment bridal shop. Now, more and more I look to consignment stores for decor ideas as well. These go beyond the Salvation Army and thrift store merchandise. You can find really great pieces that people just may not use anymore because they have changed their decor. Not that you cannot find some great pieces at the other thrift stores, but I have just found that the quality is usually better.
Make things on your own- The biggest thing to take into consideration when you are making things on your own, is the cost of supplies, and the time you have to spend making them. Sometimes you may not actually be saving money if you make it.
Hire a designer- In some cases this can get expensive. You just have to shop around to see what is out there are what they offer. I decided to offer a design service that is affordable as possible. My friend Tami is always saying how impressed she is with my vision. I love to help brides make their vision for the wedding come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment